Burmese Chicken Curry

Today I thought I’d share one of my favorite recipes.  I got this recipe from a lady I used to work for who has turned into a good friend.  She wasn’t sure where exactly she got it from – but it was well loved in her kitchen as well.   When I started on my real food journey, and especially when I started reading Eat Fat Lose Fat , I was excited because I already had a well-loved recipe that I could eat!  To top it off, it’s very versatile – I never make it the same way twice!


BURMESE CHICKEN CURRY

2-3 lbs chicken, cubed
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ C vegetable coconut oil
2T soy sauce
2t chili powder (sometimes I just use a few red pepper flakes to spice things up)
1t turmeric
2t coriander
1t ginger
½ t cardamom
1 can coconut milk
hot pepper, to taste

Sauté chicken in coconut oil.  Add onion and garlic when chicken is just about cooked through.  Add spices and coconut milk to the chicken when the onions are soft.  Cover and simmer for 40 minutes. {I don’t think it needs a full 40 minutes!}

this is before the coconut milk & spices
Now, here is the great thing about this recipe: you can replace all or part of the chicken with vegetables!  I usually cook about one pound of chicken up and then add in veggies to make a full pot.  I use all kinds of vegetables in this.  My favorites are eggplant, carrots, celery, green beans, and kale.  Not necessarily all in one dish.  I use either fresh, frozen or even leftover from another night (sometimes all in one pot!).  It’s very versatile.  I just put the veggies in according to cooking time.  Most of the vegetables I put in just before I add the spices.   When I do kale, I put it in about 10 minutes before it’s done simmering.   The recipe I have also says to try garbanzo beans.  I haven’t yet, but I bet using beans in place of chicken along with veggies would make a very yummy meatless meal!

Enjoy! And please leave a comment if you have some other veggies you like to add (or think would be good to try)!

This post linked to:

1 comment:

Do you have thoughts on this topic? Please share!